Anyway, back to De Sica's The Bicycle Thief. I watched it yesterday night and was really moved by the acting and De Sica's method of storytelling. A Neorealist film usually casts non professional actors, offers a bleak and stark outlook of the world and mostly gives an open ended ending, in the hope that the audience would try and make a difference to the world.
While doing research on De Sica's film, I found an interesting excerpt from Edward Murray's "Ten Film Classics: A Re-viewing" that I wish to share with my dear readers:
De Sica once described his success with non professionals by saying:
"I explain and explain, and I am very convincing. I seem to have a special gift for making myself understood by actors. Either I play the part or I explain it, slowly, patiently, with a smile on my face and never any anger."
No comments:
Post a Comment