The past 2-weeks have been an early holiday for me. Actually it's more to a self declared holiday. Esther asked me to help in her music video shoot. So I didn't do much over the first weekend. But it was a fun weekend because of Kai Wen. She's such a drama queen ^-^ She's also very sporting in front of the camera. She's hardly shy and it really makes the shoot even more fun ^-^
The second weekend was spent at Stradbroke Island and helping Esther. Stradbroke is beautiful especially Point Lookout. We'd to take a 50-minute ferry to get there. Unfortunately since it was only a day trip everything was really rushed. Would love to go back next time. Anyway, Kai Wen, Jacqui and I had a really good fish 'n' chips meal. A perfect ending to a day at the beach after some sightseeing.
When I got home I was so exhausted I'd no idea why. I mean we travelled by bus the whole day but why was I so tired. Yeah sure, we did do some walking but that's about it. After my bath, I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. As Kai Wen cooked, I slept. I think it's coz I only got 2-hours of sleep. I'd been rushing my assignment for the past few days. And on the last day I was still typing. Kai Wen said maybe it's due to the adrenaline and all the brain activity which caused me to be still mentally alert at 4am.
Anyway back to Sunday, after I woke Kai Wen up to help Esther I found out I was needed as well. I was quite annoyed actually coz nobody mentioned it earlier. My body and legs were still aching all over. I couldn't drag myself out of bed until about half an hour later. Eventually we left the house. I still feel that no matter how hard the day is, if the job has to be done, it has to be done. Throwing tantrums is human; losing your temper is human; getting into arguments is also human; crying is also human; consoling people is also part and parcel of being a human. I've seen these scenarios at work but in the end, nobody cares because all your boss wants to know is, GET THE JOB DONE. You're really lucky if people actually come and ask you what's the problem and how can they help you solve it. And I mean really LUCKY. That's why I learnt along the way that a girl's gotta be independent if not, she'll never learn and just keep on relying on people to help her.
The second week was mostly spent cooking and washing up. Most of my housemates were busy with assignments so I volunteered to cook. It was also the last week of uni. Sob sob... I really felt sad to leave the lecture hall after each lecture. On Wednesday, Kai Wen and I went home together. Esther and Gerald were at uni doing their music video edit. Kai Wen wanted to try the new packet of meatballs and so KL Catering was unofficially launched. As I bathed, Kai Wen chopped up the garlic, onions, mushrooms etc. Once the spirals were ready, I added the basil and oregano leaves and of course not forgetting the butter. As Kai Wen took her shower, I packed everything into containers. Really felt like a catering service. ^-^ And the food was voila, Fantabulous!!!
On Friday, I invited Becky over for dinner. She quite like roti canai so I made chicken curry to go with the paratha (canai is called paratha in S'pore). I should've scooped up some curry for her so that I can make the rest spicier but it totally slipped my mind. Making curry at home is a juggling act coz only Joel and I can really take spicy food. That night, I made sure Esther tasted the curry before I served it. Of course, I would've added lots more curry powder but to see people gasp and gack and ask for more water is really quite a sorry sight to see. I would never want to see my guests nor friends in that position.
I'm glad Becky got to taste some homecooked food. We even made deep fried bean curd sheet with meat, too bad there's no fish paste over here, that's why I substituted with minced pork. Shawn did a really good job in wrapping the pork in the bean curd sheet. He's always good with wrapping stuff. I also boiled some ABC soup as Becky likes to drink soup. One thing's for sure, the five of us have stronger tastebuds due to our upbringing and background. Becky noticed that because she said I would've commented that her food is less strong and to some extent some people might say it's bland. Well, it's not bland, it's just due to the cooking style and because less spices are used.
We being Southeast Asian Chinese come from different backgrounds and have been exposed to different races. We're used to fusion food. We were brought up in an entirely different environment. Thus it's a real melting pot of cultures in our part of the world.
Next week onwards will be spent studying and going full speed ahead for my assignments and final exam. I've been slacking. Sigh... Got to catch up and keep ahead. I've decided not to cook for my homies and will just cook for myself due to the lack of time. All the cooking and washing has made my hands rather dry and flaky. So dear readers, if I don't update my blog in the next few weeks you'll know why lah, OK...
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment