As much as I love working, I couldn't help but look forward to taking 2-weeks off. The back to back shoot of the feature film and TV drama left me totally exhausted. Even though I received a freelance job offer during my first week of self declared holiday, I politely turned it down. They needed a PA immediately but the following week I was going to Malacca with my family. My sis had been looking forward to the family holiday and I could't afford to disappoint her.
And so began my first month of unemployment. What did I do in September 2008? Hmm... Mostly spent it accompanying my Granny to the market, night market, supermarket oh and of course to grab lunch. Yeah... Granny doesn't cook lunch and her off days are on Mon/Wed/Fri. I'll drive her to the neighbourhood kopitiam to buy lunch. If I find a parking spot, we'll have lunch there. If not, we'll just get takeaways.
On Sundays we'll normally go to the pasar malam. Granny will buy fruits and vegetables. Hee hee hee that's when I get my favourite fruit: MANGO. Granny's always tempted to buy apples especially the Fuji apple. Sorry lah but apples aren't my cup of tea unless it's apple pie ^^. Granny loves munching on apples and if there's guava, she'll grab them immediately. I remember when we were in Hong Kong, Granny bought a few guavas which she'd often eat after meals or anytime of day.
A constant worry for me would be finding a parking spot when I go out with Granny. I would say she's in excellent health for a grand old dame of 80-years. However due to old age, Granny's knees have weaken. She finds difficulty in climbing stairs and going up the pavement. She'd often hold onto the staircase railing or hold onto my shoulder. But you know what? I really think God has sent a Guardian Angel for Granny. There were many instances when I'd naturally find parking even when it seemed virtually impossible.
There was once when we entered this parking lot and it was packed with cars. I began to panic. Shit! I don't want to go to the next level. What will happen to Granny? I can't have her walking up the stairs. The climb will really kill her legs. Lo and behold, I saw a vacant spot. I can only softly whisper Thank you so much, God :)
Guavas have often been Granny's fave since like forever. My Granny's flawless skin is partly attributed to her good eating habits. Our fridge is often stocked with apples, papayas (my Papa's fave) and guavas. Nowadays Granny buys oranges. I guess coz it's the season for oranges. When Granny was in Hong Kong, she observed how my cousin cut her oranges. She'd peel the skin off using a knife. Then she'd cut the orange into half and slice them slice by slice. Grannies are often known as being excellent cooks and my Granny's no exception. I remember chatting with my friend and the topic was on Grannies cooking. She said "Yeah! Granny's cooking is the best!". I couldn't agree more.
1 comment:
Granny's rocks our world!!!!!
And I can't imagine a world without her... :)
Eh, we should like bring our grannies out for lunch together or dinner man! I think it'll be cool! Boht of them can ber-hangout and play MAHJONG!!!!! yay!
Post a Comment