I'm really lucky that my good friend, C shared her work experience with me. She gave me plenty of tips and best of all, templates of her work. Having friends in this industry has its many advantages. Firstly, I got to observe how C worked during the feature film shoot as an Assistant Director (AD). Secondly, even though I didn't see how C prepared the Call Sheet and Master Rundown, I received a hard copy which is more than enough to teach me a thing or two.
Honestly, what makes a good AD? I only got the opportunity to be one this year all thanks to lady boss. I started out as a Casting Coordinator for TV commercials. Back then I didn't harbour ambitions of becoming a Producer much less a Film Director. I'd just graduated and wanted to gain as much work experience as possible. Circumstances led me to my second job as a Line Producer. And yet, I was still floating around with no goal in sight.
After studying overseas for two years, I came back. I wanted to join back the same industry which I left. Somehow entering an entirely new field hardly crossed my mind. It was C who got me in touch with her ex-colleague who is now my lady boss. Lady boss gave me many opportunities. She hired me as her Production Manager (PM), Production Assistant, Producer, as well as AD. By trying on different hats, I came to realise I enjoyed being an AD.
During my tenure as Casting Coordinator, I was involved in a big budget TV commercial shoot. What impressed me wasn't so much the male leads but the Australian AD, Cameron who was specially flown in at the request of Francois, the Film Director.
Cameron was really professional in his work. In our two days of shoot, the cast and crew adhered to the shooting schedule. And best of all, we wrapped on time. This was in stark contrast to our previous shoot - plenty of confusion, unnecessary delays etc. The PM was also the AD which only made things worst.
I'm starting a new project next week. A bigger role and responsibility this time. A challenge which I look forward to taking up. I'll be tied down as TV drama AD until April. What happens after that? I don't know but what I do hope is this drama's gonna give me one helluva experience I'll never forget (positive thoughts, positive thoughts ^^).
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OMG!! This call for a celebration of some sort!! When la you free to join me for a cuppa? Miss you much!!!
Post a Comment