Sunday, March 25, 2007

That Culture Thingy

What's it with cultures? I mean, it's simply amazing how people of different cultures can somehow assimilate & live together under the same umbrella. Malaysia being my home country is well known as a melting pot of sorts because we've so many races living in the same country. Usually I hardly give any thought on cultures but recently I recalled this conversation that I had with Jacqui.

Jacqui: Hey Leng, how do you know where that person's from just by listening to
them speak Mandarin?
ding 'a' Leng: I just know... well actually the Chinese in China and Taiwan speak
Mandarin
differently. The same goes for Malaysian and S'porean Chinese, they
have different accents.

Jacqui: Yeah, actually I sort of thought you were either M'sian or S'porean. I
noticed that people from these 2 countries speak English in a similar manner.
ding 'a' Leng: Yeah, you're right about that. So what about Canada? Do Canadians speak
English
differently as compared to the Americans?
Jacqui: Well, people actually say that I speak really slowly.
ding 'a' Leng: Hahaha! What about the Americans?
Jacqui: Yup! People from Manhattan, Detroit, New York speak English with different
accents.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Leng!

I love it! It is so funny cause i was sort of thinking the same thing to on my way home on Sat. Your so right! BTW Lovin the new layout! Hey how do you make your blog look so cool? I.e the chat function? COOL! cya!