Thursday, August 21, 2008

What do ya know?

"You're not yourself of late," said Lady Boss.

"Yeah, I admit that I'm sluggish. I'm tired," I sheepishly replied.

It's kinda embarassing to hear that from her. I really want her to know I'm in tip top condition, raring to go at any minute. Unfortunately it's the opposite. I really need a break. Instead of having 2-days off, I started working a day after At the End of Daybreak ended. Lady Boss needed me to come in earlier than expected.

We're now into shoot Day 19 of 26. Maybe I came in with too much expectations but at times I feel that the outcome could've been so much better. There were some beautiful shots but somehow the script seems to lack depth. The characters are two-dimensional. It reminds me of some Hong Kong drama. Part of it doesn't seem to reflect a Chinese Malaysian society. I find myself asking "Are we really like that?"

The tight budget made it all the more difficult. You know that saying "When you gotta spend, you just gotta spend" doesn't apply here when it should have. There were many instances when shooting was delayed, time was wasted because the extras couldn't deliver. Even the supporting veteran actors fumbled in their dialogue delivery. This is rather unforgivable considering their status in the industry.

Besides that, in between shooting there was plenty of drama in the shooting of this drama (pardon the pun). Gossips, tears, angry words, you name it, we've got it. I've been observing the way my Assistant Director is handling each and every situation. A lot of what I see is on the surface and I must try to go beyond that. I've to also imagine how Lady Boss would handle the situation herself.

I can hardly wait for the last day of shoot. Ideally I would prefer to rest for 2-weeks and start working. However as a freelancer, sometimes it's really not my call at all. Will see how things goes. Right now I'm day dreaming about visiting the islands in Malaysia. It's pretty embarassing to hear from a foreign friend about how beautiful the islands are when I myself haven't been there. It's time to go for some budget travelling. Wish List no. 1!

No comments: