Monday, June 09, 2008

I've been reading RD

I've long realised that I haven't been reading much of late... My aunts introduced a couple of books to me a few months back but I've kept them aside, preferring to go online rather than read. I've been reading the newspapers diligently but not books nor magazines. Somehow reading a book sounds like such a big chore. Would speed reading a book count as reading? Hmmm...

What my aunt said yesterday struck a chord in me.

"If you don't read, how are you going to grow?"

A few days ago I picked up the latest edition of the Reader's Digest (RD). Boy did it bring back memories. My family's been subscribing to RD since like forever. My grandparents, father and even now my sis are avid readers. Most of their articles have been condensed to make for easy reading. My sis's fave would have to be the jokes section i.e. Life's Like That, As Kids See It etc.

I don't have a particular fave section but I do enjoy RD's stories. These heart warming stories show me to have faith. That I'm so lucky to have what I have. To be born normal unlike some parents who strive to take care of their disabled child.

RD taught me to believe in humanity. To believe that there are good people out there. To believe that there are everyday heroes in this world. To believe in me and the ability that I have.

No comments: