Wednesday, June 25, 2008

When it's not about the money...

There are many reasons why I'm in this industry. It started with a passion. A love for film. A love for the arts and culture. Then when I entered, I saw the ugly side of the industry. I only knew how to work, work and work.

By the time I'd a social life, life was getting boring. The TVCs that I was involved in had really crappy storyboards. I was frustrated. I pushed it aside because I wanted the money. Then I quit.
I did odd jobs. But the lure of the industry was just too great. I even pursued an arts degree.

Now I'm back. My mind is still as fresh as a slate. I hope for better things. I have a desire to do things - films, photography, documentaries. In Malaysia MTVs don't make money but it's an avenue for newbie directors to show off their creativity. Check out the following:

Here In My Home - Malaysian Artistes For Unity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Wl3firJQk

Sampai Syurga - Faizal Tahir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f36lDFhs0LA

In the end, we find that sometimes even when it's pro bono, all we want is to have that sense of satisfaction. The achievement of having been involved in a really great production. Something that we can all be proud of ~ which no amount of money can buy.

No comments: