Thursday, May 01, 2008

Hurdle = Challenge

"OK, so now it's your turn to produce the next two 3-minute programmes," said my Boss.
I gulped. I could feel my heart beating faster than normal.

It's only 3-minutes not 30-minutes, neither is it 3-hours! But I still feel cold sweat. Why lah are the crew all younger than me? My Boss said "Good what. Then they'll listen to you."

I attended the first meeting last Thursday and I'll be shooting this Friday and Sunday. In between I've to attend the offline & online edit not to mention the music & effects. My Boss will have a look at the online edit next week. One of the reasons that's making me nervous is because the programme's in Cantonese which means the script's in Chinese (duh!)

When you're the observer/Asst Producer (AP)/Prod Asst, things won't really concern you that much. The pressure mounts on the Director and Producer and especially the Director when he/she is on set. There's a beginning for everything and this is my beginning as a Producer/Director. I'm very thankful to my Boss for giving me this opportunity.

I'm taking this 3-min programme as a learning guide for my future projects. Practice makes perfect and as my AP says, "When you start with 3-min, you'll slowly go on to 30-min and so forth." My Boss has given me many helpful pointers as well as a chance to observe her in action. I've always mentioned how important observation is in my line of work and I believe it applies to all industries.

ding 'a' leng is nervous yet excited. She needs to plan what she needs to shoot and understand the Cantonese script which she has translated with her AP's help.

ding 'a' leng takes the opportunity to learn Chinese. The only thing she does is memorise the characters. She takes this as a personal hurdle. She's excited that she's been entrusted with this project.

ding 'a' leng's Papa often tells her if you learn one Chinese character a day, then you would've learnt 365 Chinese characters in a year.

No comments: