Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Self Worth

How much am I worth? Today yet again I am faced with this decision. Is it important for me to explain? I don’t even know why I’m in this industry. I can’t seem to hold on to a permanent job, having resigned 3 times in the past. I was never an A star student neither did I excel in sports. I narrowly scraped through to get a Grade 1 in my SPM. Mama was so worried I wouldn’t make it.

I wanted to enrol in Film & Broadcasting straight after school but decided not to because of the exorbitant fees. I applied and was accepted by a local community college to study Computer Science. By the following year I was dying. I’ve never felt so stupid in my life. Programming language absolutely made no sense to me.

Then I saw this 30-min documentary project produced by a student on TV3. I finally found my calling. I begged my parents. Mama said, “Finish what you’ve started. We’ll talk about it later”.

After struggling for another year, I completed the course. I can still feel the pain even after all these years. I hate failing and having to resit papers but I’d no choice. I was determined to get out of that college.

I felt so proud the day I entered the Broadcasting college. To prove to my parents that I made the right decision, I was determined to graduate with a High Distinction on my diploma. Those two years were absolutely fantastic. I made friends whom I’ve kept in touch with up till now. We have our occasional gatherings; can hardly believe we’ve known each other for 8 years.

I don’t want to be known as someone who quits easily. A friend of mine has been working for the past 6 years and she’s changed jobs more than 3 times within those years. We’re no longer in our parents’ era, a time when people worked and toiled for 30 or more years with the same organisation. A time when the employee is highly valued the longer he/she works for the company. Nowadays if a person manages to work for 5 years with the same company, you’re considered to have worked for a very long time. People would even question, “Is something wrong with you? Don’t you intend to gain experience elsewhere?”

I really wish I can tell my family I’ve a fabulous and high paying job. I work as an Accountant/Engineer/Doctor/Lawyer in XXXX, one of the famous big four companies. I’m in a stable relationship and will get married in two years time. We plan to have three children and have enough money in the bank to sustain us till old age.

POOF!!!

No comments: